Lake Malawi Medical Volunteer Project
- Apply Now
Assist in improving the quality of primary medical care provided to rural Malawian communities
Who should apply?
Medical students, professionals or those interested in persuing the field of medicine in the future, who would like to assist in improving the standard of primary care and support provided in the rural communities of Malawi.
Mangochi District on Lake Malawi
The project is comprised of a number of community outreach, health care and medical initiatives including: homebased care, wound care, HIV/AIDS awareness, rural community hospital, malaria prevention and awareness and nurseries for orphaned and vulnerable children.
Volunteers take part in a wide range of tasks according to which initiatives they are involved in ranging from assisting at or facilitating workshops and awareness talks around malaria and HIV/AIDS, making home visits, bandaging wounds and working in rural hospital departments.
Volunteers stay in shared accommodation in a serviced and catered house around 14kms south of Monkey Bay. The house is situated on the southern shores of beautiful Lake Malawi. The area that you will live and volunteer in is safe but the house is also fenced and gated for additional privacy and security.
- Large shared bedrooms with bunkbeds & mosquito nets
- Either shared or ensuite toilet & shower room facilities
- Cold running water (as Malawi is hot, a cold shower is usually appreciated!)
- Electricity (although power cuts are not uncommon)
- Communal kitchen & living area
- All bedding and linen included
Three meals per day are provided. Breakfast usually consists of toast, or pancakes and tea/coffee. Lunch will be prepared at the volunteer house where volunteers can help themselves and usually consists of pasta, soups, sandwiches, or similar, or a packed lunch if you are not returning to the house in the middle of the day. A hot dinner will be prepared for you in the evenings.
The cooks do a very good job of catering for you and can accommodate most dietary requirements. However, please be aware that ingredients and supplies can be limited, seasonal or particularly expensive in Malawi, so there is not always a wide variety of food available.
Terms and Conditions of application:
- Volunteers must be aged 18+ to take part in the project.
- Volunteers must have a competent level of spoken and written English
- Volunteers must provide a certificate to prove that a Police Check has been undertaken in their country of residence
- Volunteers must supply payment in full before placement can be confirmed